Movie Thoughts: Memorial Weekend Post #2

For me, any long weekend affords a prime opportunity to take in a few (or many, some would say too many) movies. Usually when I watch a large amount of films in such a short amount of time, there is at least one that does not quite live up to expectations. However, this weekend was an exception. Everything that I watched was wonderful!

The Band Wagon (1953)
Jenna and I watched this since we both love Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris and other movie musicals of that time frame. Though this film wasn't as sophisticated in its storyteller or technical artistry, it was still highly entertaining. Fred Astaire plays Tony Hunter, a has-been movie star who returns to the stage at the behest of old friends who've written a light musical comedy. Unfortunately, an overly zealous director/producer turns it into a modern telling of Faust. Hilarity ensues.

Some Came Running (1958)
The next day we watched this drama about the quiet desperation of small town America (also directed by Vincente Minnelli who directed The Band Wagon). Frank Sinatra plays a man who arrives back in his hometown after getting out of the army. Once there, he reconnects with his brother and starts to fall in love with a teacher. He also meets an alcoholic gambler played by Dean Martin (this was their first pairing) and a former hostess turned brassiere factory worker (played by Shirley MacLaine).

Speed Racer (2008)
I watched this with Dad who really wanted to see it. I know it's not a great film, but it's not as bad as the reviews claim. It's definitely flawed, but the simple message and stunning visuals are fun to watch and always leave me a bit happier.

Mon Oncle Antoine (1971)
I just received the Criterion release of this film last week and watched it with Jenna. I think she enjoyed it, but I can never really tell with her. It follows the coming-of-age of a boy living in an asbestos mining town in Quebec. It's a very subtle movie dealing with discovering love, sex, and death.

Brideshead Revisited (2008)
Because of the lackluster reviews and the shuffling into the realm of forgotten movies, Stephanie and I spent a lot of this movie waiting for it to fall apart. Instead, it was a great adaptation of a incredibly complex novel. It was nice to see Matthew Goode is something that wasn't Match Point.

Ghost Town (2008)
Rewatched this with Stephanie and Jason. It's a fun take on the romantic comedy and quirky-afterlife comedy. Everything that Ricky Gervais says is hysterically funny. Tea Leoni is adorable and slightly odd. Greg Kinnear is an asshole. Fun times!

I've Loved You So Long (2008)
This was probably the best film I watched over the weekend. It's definitely the one that I've thought most about. It's an unexpectedly moving story about people in very painful, difficult situations. Kristin Scott Thomas and Elsa Zylberstein play reunited sisters, and I'm amazing at how much they can relay in simple motions and quiet moments. Everything felt so organic and genuine; nothing was obligatory. Despite the rather depressing subject matter, I thought it was an uplifting film. It portrayed so well the human need for connection and love.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

And I'll bet you just knew Elsa Zylberstein's name off the top of your head, eh?

Shari said...

I love movies where "hilarity ensues"!!

Post a Comment