I'm Glad I Was Asked: Memorial Weekend Post #1

During the summer session, I've switched to four day work weeks and get Saturday through Monday off. Since I was not working on Memorial Day, I got Tuesday off and had a nice four day weekend.

Friday evening, I went to my parents' house and spent Saturday with them. The official plan was to go through the boxes I have stored there, but I decided to have fun instead. Jenna and I watched several movies, and I did a bit of reading. Dad and Joel attended the Byron Nelson golf tournament in Irving, Texas. Mom worked on a quilt for my cousin. It was such an enjoyable visit.

Sunday morning, I left my parents' and went to stay with the Stephanie's family. (For a detailed breakdown of the weekend's events, read Stephanie's stellar post here.) In addition to Stephanie and her parents, Shari and her family and Jason spent the weekend having fun and hangin' out, yo. We played games, watched movies, ate excellent food, drank mixed drinks, beer, and wine (not all together, mind you).

Stephanie, Jason, and I went to scope out the sale at Hastings which culminated in me buying too much and coasting into line minutes before the store closed. When the store is about to close, there is a soothing woman's voice that asks you to make your final selections and please proceed to the checkout line where you will be served with a smile. The promise of a smile is so prominent that I imagine not making your final selections and proceeding to the checkout line will result in being served with a scowl and/or snarl. Thankfully, our cashier was terribly nice.

I also watched a Redbox being used for the first time. Does anyone rent from Blockbuster anymore? If so, why? It was such an easy process and so cheap! We had a code to get a movie for free, but had we not, it would have only been $1.00! I'm genuinely excited about this. One of the reasons that I acquire so may DVDs is that renting is so expensive. This gives me another option to see a newer film without finding space on my shelves for it.

Over the weekend, I learned that I sporadically suck at games. Over the course of a couple days, I lost Monopoly (new with credit cards and an earnest worldview), Monopoly Deal (a fun card game), The Friends Trivia Game, Television SceneIt!, MarioKart, and croquet. I warned Stephanie that next time I visit, I'm going to bring something that I can win. (This may mean playing chess with her kid nephews.)

Unfortunately, there is always a drawback to so much time off. It was incredibly hard to go back to work, especially ten hour work days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment