... Likes Sands Through an Hourglass

My birthday was Sunday, and the weekend became very Me-centric. Since I turned 25, Mom and Dad felt that a celebration was in order. Friday evening, I met my parents at the Asian market near the university, and we bought salmon, halibut, grouper, and beef tenderloin for Saturday's cookout. In addition to this preparation, I baked a chocolate cake (with homemade milk chocolate frosting) for the festivities on Thursday.

The cookout was suppose to be a pretty small affair but quickly ballooned to a full-fledged party with twenty-two people, games, an impressive buffet (there's still food left), and many birthday cards. Dad and Poppy grilled all of the fish and beef as well as shrimp, chicken, and all the vegetables Mom didn't roast. My brother and his girlfriend drove up, and all the area family came. After we ate and most of the people left, we played a few games of Blokus, two games of Liverpool Rummy (the variation my family plays), and a game of Fluxx. Afterward, I was exhausted and went to bed after watching Rocky which I got as a promotional from Columbia House a few months ago.

The next morning, Dad made waffles, and I left for Jason's after breakfast. For my birthday lunch, we went out for Cane's chicken (one of my favorite places to eat). I opened gifts. Jason introduced Stephanie and me to Spades, a card game the bears a slight resemblance to Hearts. We played three games and all won one apiece. We watched the Ross Kemp episode of Rick Gervais's brilliant Extras.

We used the DruidCraft tarot deck that Stephanie got me for my birthday. She did a reading for me with a spread new to us. It was extremely interesting and fun. Sunday night, I did a Celtic Cross reading for her which wrapped up at around 5:30 in the morning.

Usually, I get very depressed and inconsolable on my birthday, but this year was different; I was in a pretty good (if somewhat unstable) mood. On the way home of Monday, I did have a moment of nervous anxiety and irrationally low self-esteem.

Last night, I was able to get away from most human contact and had some alone time. I watched Olivier's Hamlet and a 1934 Dick Powell film called Dames which was very low on plot and high on humor and spectacle.

Breakdown of birthday presents:

  • Ticket to see The Drowsy Chaperon (Mom and Dad)
  • White FiestaWare pitcher (Nana and Poppy)
  • Autographed and framed photo of Joan Fontaine (Jason)
  • Autographed Jason baseball card (Jason)
  • DruidCraft tarot deck (Stephanie)
  • Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant (Stephanie)
  • Metallic necklace (Stephanie)
  • Color-it-yourself tarot deck (Stephanie)
  • Zen: the Perfect Companion by Seung Sahn (Stephanie)
  • DK Eyewitness Film (Trish)
  • Merchant-Ivory's The Bostonians (Shari)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thumper's mom is in my head lecturing about not saying anything at all if I can't say something nice. Nevertheless, I must point out that despite having parts called the cross and the staff, the reading is called the Celtic Cross. Lest you feel chastened, however, I will now quickly say something nice to distract you: you are pretty and don't look at all like someone whose youth is dead. Oh, and the necklace is magnetic hematite, which is kind of like "lucky bamboo" in that it is not real hematite, which cannot be magnetized. It promotes healing or something. It looks neat, anyway.

Jeremiah Goodman said...

I corrected it. I knew that I should have waited to post until I had gotten home and checked the book! Thanks for the info on the necklace. I kept meaning to ask you about it and then promptly forgetting.

Post a Comment