I'm Not Good at the Internets

It's been over a month since I last updated and not because I have a lack of things to say/report. Mostly, I just don't think about updating. When it does occur to me to write an entry, I'm usually busy doing something else (ex. driving home, showering, fretting).

Added to this is my aversion to "Internet culture." Social-networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter produce all of the anxiety of more direct communication without any of the payoff. A generally water-downed version of a person is brandied about without any depth of relationship and real understanding. While they are attractively concise, these tidbit offerings leave me cold. Of course, I'm primarily interested in understanding myself and part of this process is believing that others are just as interesting and interested in exploring themselves. And personal Internet information seems transitory and smacks of unneeded compromise. Which is my way of saying, "Whoops, I'll try harder in the future!"

Onward to the news:

1. Shelter

Everything on the buying-a-condo front is going smoothly. I got a call from the realtor today, and she informed me that the condo passed the termite inspection. Last week, the house inspector gave me his report which cited only an estimated $450.00 in repairs; these consisted entirely of things I had planned to replace. After this, I sent all the paperwork and documents to the mortgage company who has since sent it to the closing company. (I had no idea this would be so complex! The image in my head was of speaking with George Bailey at the savings and loan, striking a deal, and ending with a handshake.)

Unfortunately, the entire process has been plagued with minor inconveniences: the seller was out of town and unreachable for a week, my realtor's husband is ill, the seller's realtor gave us the wrong key when my parents came to look, one of the credit bureaus put the wrong credit history on my report. Through all this I've remained relatively calm and positive. I've even had a couple days when I was excited. Still, there is a persistent, foreboding voice in my head that keeps warning that I'm going to end up messing up my life more than I already have.

2. Education

I received all the acceptance letters and paperwork. I've filled everything out and sent it in. I do need to get a student ID. I was happy to find out that I will be monetarily compensated for the workshop I have to attend in order to teach first-year composition. I also received some of the articles and essays that I will use in the class. I'm excited about how structured everything is and am beginning to feel that I may actually make a success of this little endeavor. (I'm steering clear of any teacher-schmaltz.)

3. Birthday

I'm about to start my birthday weekend. I'm turning 25 (a quarter of a century) and won't have another landmark birthday for a number of years. Mom, Dad, my brother, and his girlfriend are coming up tomorrow for a cookout that will feature all of my favorite grilled seafood and roasted vegetables. I baked a chocolate cake and made the icing for it yesterday and will assemble it tomorrow morning. On my actual birthday, I'm going over to Jason's to hang out for awhile. Beyond that I haven't any plans except to watch a couple good movies and relax.

0 comments:

Post a Comment